What is Hotmail alias and why should you create one?
An alias is an additional or an alternate email address for your primary Microsoft Hotmail account. It simply uses the same inbox, contacts and account settings as of the primary email address. Note that, you can create up to five different aliases for one primary email account. You can then use different alias for every aspect of your online life, for example you can use one alias for games, one for shopping, one to communicate with friends and one for your work life. You can then sign in to Hotmail with any aliases, they all use the same password.
This is also one of the best ways to change Hotmail email address, while keeping all your mails safe. All you need to do is, add a new alias and simply make the new one your primary mailing address. You can then, choose to either keep or delete your primary alias.
Adding an alias in Hotmail is also a great way to deal with spam. When you use an alias, it is impossible to know your real email address and breach into your account. Moreover, it gives you more privacy and creates segregation within your personal and other mails.
How to add an alias?
Creating a Hotmail alias is really easy and can be achieved within minutes. Here’s what you should do-
- Sign in to your Hotmail account.
- Click on “Account Settings“ within your profile picture.
- Within the Settings homepage click “Your info”
- Then click “Manage your sign-in email or phone number”
- Select “Add email alias”
- “Create a new email address and add it as an alias” – Use it if you want to create an entirely new, unique email address.
- However if you want to add an already existing email address, select “Add an existing email address as a Microsoft account alias”
- Finally click “Add alias“